Jae Hee Suh
Allen & Overy
Singapore, Hong Kong, Korea (Republic of), England
Energy, infrastructure, finance, private equity, pharmaceutical, automotive, and TMT (technology, media and entertainment, and telecommunications).
English and Korean
B.A. in Jurisprudence (First Class Honours), Magdalen College, University of Oxford, 2012 (Recipient of Field Fisher Prize and Hogan Lovells Prize)
Postgraduate Certificate in Laws, The University of Hong Kong, 2013 (Recipient of Woo Po Shing Medal in Law for best performance in civil and criminal advocacy and Hou De Charitable Foundation Scholarship for academic excellence)
-The “Problem” of Costs in Arbitration: Controlling, Allocating and Funding Costs, edited by Chin Leng Lim (The Cambridge Companion to International Arbitration) (Co-authored with Matthew Hodgson), 2021
- Jus Mundi Wiki Note on “Compliance with Arbitral Awards”, 2021
- Interpretation of pathological clauses: a cautionary tale?, Practical Law Arbitration Blog, 2019
- Emergency Arbitrator Relief: A Practical Guide (Co-authored with Matthew Hodgson and Kellie Yi), Korean Arbitration Review, 2018
- Disclosure of third party funding – Hong Kong and Singapore setting the trend?, Practical Law Arbitration Blog, 2017
- Opening the gates for third-party funding – recent developments in Hong Kong and Singapore and lessons for Korea (Co-authored with Andrew Pullen), Korean Arbitration Review, 2017
- Global Arbitration Review (GAR) Know-How: Investment Treaty Arbitration, Belize (Co-authored with Angeline Welsh and Mirrette Grant), 2015
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Speaker on "Functions and Policies of Decision Making in Investment Arbitral Awards", YSIAC Club Event, January 2022
- Speaker on "Changes and proposals for better practices in international arbitration: Challenging Conventions and Customs in Arbitration Practice”, The 10th Asia-Pacific ADR Virtual Conference, November 2021
- Speaker on "Modernization of Investment Treaty Arbitration: Amendments to the ICSID Arbitration Rules", Kim & Chang - Allen & Overy Webinar, November 2021
- Speaker on “Fair and Equitable Treatment in International Arbitration” as part of Fortitude Learning’s 4-day certificate course on International Dispute Settlement, September 2021
- Speaker at “SIArb Roundtable Discussion: How To Make A Career In Arbitration”, April 2021
- Speaker at the KCAB International & Friends Webinar on “Investment Treaty Protections for Korean Investors”, September 2020
- Speaker on “Tips for Young Practitioners - How to Elevate One’s Profile in the Arbitration Network” at Yonsei Arbitration Day, August 2020
Steering Committee Member, Young ArbitralWomen Practitioners (YAWP)
Member, Rising Arbitrators Initiative
Past Committee Member, SIArb Continuing Professional Development Committee
I am a senior associate in Allen & Overy's international arbitration team based in Singapore. Before joining the Singapore office, I practised arbitration in Allen & Overy's Hong Kong and London offices.
I have represented States and private clients in the energy, infrastructure, finance, private equity, pharmaceutical, automotive, and TMT sectors for both commercial and investment treaty arbitrations under various rules, including the ICSID, ICC, LCIA, UNCITRAL, HKIAC and SIAC rules. I have also advised in relation to enforcing and challenging arbitral awards in different jurisdictions.
I was born and raised in Korea and studied law at Oxford University (Magdalen College) as a STX Corporation Scholar. I also obtained the Postgraduate Certificate in Laws (PCLL) from the University of Hong Kong and am admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong.