BEBOHI EBONGO SYLVIE
CONSTRUCTION AND INFRASTRUCTURES
Certificate in Investment Arbitration, Advanced Investment Program
Georgetown University Law/International Law Institute/International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes
Certificate in ADR, International School of ADR – The Vocational Training School of the Paris Court of Appeal
Certificate Negotiation, mediation, dispute management
The Negotiation Academy (NA)
The Vocational Training School of the Paris Court of Appeal
Certificate of Aptitude for the Legal Profession (professional Bar certificate)
University of Picardie Jules Verne
Ph. D in Private Law
• Thesis subject: The enforcement of arbitral awards: Comparative study of the of the ICSID and CCJA enforcement mechanisms/awarded the best thesis in Business and community law of the OHADA High School ERSUMA 2015
International Labour Organisation (ILO)
International Trade Law Proficiency Course
International Institute for the Unification of Private Law (UNIDROIT)
Research fellowship in arbitration and international trade
University of Yaoundé
Master’s degree in Private Law
Publications (non exhaustive list)
• Sylvie Bebohi Ebongo, (Co-written with Achille Ngwanza) “Arbitrage et Sûretés complexes en droit OHADA”, LexisNexis, june 2021, pp 97-128
• Sylvie Bebohi Ebongo, “Les remèdes à l’inexécution du contrat”, Dossier la vente commerciale dans les pays de l’organisation pour l’harmonisation du droit des Affaires en Afrique”, AJ contrat 2020. 355, sp 368 19 septembrer 2020
• Sylvie Bebohi Ebongo, “Enforcement of OHADA Investment Arbitration Awards”, wiki notes https://jusmundi.com/en/document/wiki/en-enforcement-of-ohada-investment-arbitration-awards, may 2020
• Sylvie Bebohi Ebongo (Co-written with Alain Feneon) “L’arbitrage OHADA dans les publications internationales”, in A. Ngwanza (ed) Vingt ans d’arbitrage OHADA, LexisNexis 2019, pp 157-176
• sylvie Bebohi Ebongo (Co-written with Dramane Sanou) “L’arbitrage dans les différends individuels de travail dans les Etats membres de l’OHADA”, Lexbase Afrique – OHADA, 27/06/2019
• Sylvie Bebohi Ebongo, “Langue française et arbitrage dans les pays de l’espace OHADA”, Journal of Arab Arbitration, Vol. 28,29, 30 June, December 2017 & June 2018, p.83
• Sylvie Bebohi Ebongo, “ L'interprétation et l'application de la Convention de New York de 1958 pour la reconnaissance et l'exécution des sentences arbitrales étrangères”, Lexbase édition Ohada, 2017, novembre 2017, édition n°5 16/11/2017, Arbitrage
• Sylvie Bebohi Ebongo, “ L’appréciation des condamnations contre les États africains dans l’arbitrage international », Penant 898, janvier-mars 2017
• Sylvie Bebohi Ebongo “La pratique de l'arbitrage OHADA selon le règlement d'arbitrage CCJA”, Revue Juridique de l’Océan Indien Numéro 24, 2017-01
• Sylvie Bebohi Ebongo, “ La coopération du juge étatique à l’arbitrage : l’exemple du Cameroun”, Revue camerounaise de l’arbitrage, n°74, July, august, september 2016, pp 3-10
• Sylvie Bebohi Ebongo, “ Les avantages comparatifs des règlements d’arbitrage CIRDI-CNUDCI-CCJA ”, European journal of Law Reform, 2011, issue 3-4 pp, 514 -528
2022 " Investment arbitration in francophone Africa" 3rd Webinar organised within the framework of the ERA Pledge ASC (17th february 2022)
"Rising arbitrator's challenges- dealing with non experienced Parties", Rai welcome The new Members event (17 november 2021)
" The new Africa Agreement Afcta -opportunities for advocacy", Conference organised by GIZ (9-11 november 2021)
"Equal representation in arbitration", Nigerian Institute of Chartered Institue of Arbitrators, NiCARB ( 16th July 2021)
" Investment arbitration within OHADA:Where do we stand?" 2nd AfAA annual conference in international arbitration: Reform and Innovation: African Perspectives( 14th-15th april 2021)
"Pratical tools for emerging arbitrators", ERA Pledge YPSC Push for Parity Series (17 november 2020)
"Features of ICC Arbitration in Africa", ICC Arbitration in Africa series 2/6 (10 november 2020)
“Legal culture and Arbitration/ADR in Africa”, 6th SOAS Arbitration in Africa Conference (10-12 march 2020), Douala-Cameroon
Enforcement of investment award within OHADA, conference on the settlement of investment disputes by arbitration and mediation within the OHADA area (16-17 january 2020)Douala-Cameroun
"L'arbitrage OHADA dans les publications internationales" Conference celebrating the 20th anniversary of OHADA arbitration, “Vingt ans d’arbitrage OHADA: bilan et perspectives”, (17-18 october 2019), Abidjan – Ivory Coast
"L'arbitrage: réalités et défis", Conference organised by the ADR Institue of Kairoun, Tunisia (12, 13, 14 april 2019)
"The role of national courts and the Common Court of Justice and Arbitration (CCJA)", OHADA day, Paris Bar Association, (12 december 2018)
"Enforcement of CCJA's arbitral awards", conference on “CRCICA arbitration, CPA arbitration, OHADA arbitration and mediation”, (24 – 25 may 2018), Yaoundé – Cameroun
"Race and Gender in the appointment of arbitrators in international arbitration", 4th SOAS in Arbitration Conference ((2-4 May 2018), Kigali- Rwanda
“Langue française et arbitrage dans les pays de l’espace OHADA", Conference on l’usage du français comme langue de l’arbitrage, Cairo Center for International Commercial Arbitration (CRCICA), (9 january 2018), Cairo – Egypt
"Enforcement of arbitral award within OHADA ", UNCITRAL at 50 and arbitration in Africa”,( 24-25 may 2017), Yaoundé – Cameroun
More information is available upon request
• ICC Affica Commission.
• Board of Directors of AfAA.
• Rising Arbitrators Initiative (RAI)
• Equal Representation in Arbitration Africa Subcommitte (ERA ASC).
• International Bar Association (IBA) Africa Arbitration Network.
Dr Sylvie BEBOHI EBONGO is a qualified Lawyer in Paris -France and Cameroon Bars. She is the Co-founder and Partner of HBE Avocats France and Managing Partner of HBE Avocats Cameroon, a “boutique” specialized in business law https://www.hbe-avocats.com/en/
She holds a PhD in Private Law from the University of Picardie Jules Verne (Amiens- France). Her thesis on the “enforcement of arbitral awards: comparative study of ICSID and CCJA enforcement mechanisms” was awarded the best thesis in Business and community law of the OHADA High School ERSUMA 2015 http://www.ohada.com/actualite/2847/communique-du-directeur-general-de-l-ersuma-portant-attribution-du-prix-de-la-meilleure-these-au-titre-de-l-annee-2015.html.
Sylvie has acquired experience in renowned international law firms ( Jeantet & Associés, Former KAB & Associés, Cabinet Castellane Avocats...), Audit firms ( Bekolo & Partners among others) and has worked also in freelance for experienced practitioners in particular in the field of international arbitration.
Sylvie’s areas of expertise includes international arbitration (commercial and investment), contract law, international investment law; commercial law, enforcement and recovery procedures, post award proceedings, OHADA law. Sylvie sits as Arbitrator, acts as Counsel, and Tribunal Secretary. She is a member of the Panels of Arbitrators with the Common Court of Justice and Arbitration (CCJA) OHADA, the Cairo Regional Center for International Commercial Arbitration (CRCICA), the Arbitration Mediation and Conciliation Center of Ouagadougou (CAMC-O) Burkina Faso, the Shanghai Arbitration Commission (SHAC). Sylvie is also trained in negotiation and as a mediator.
Sylvie is very active in the arbitration community and holds various roles in international dispute resolution organizations and associations. She acts as Research officer at the Association for the Promotion of Arbitration in Africa (APAA) for whom she is representative in Europe. She is a member of the ICC Africa Commission, of the Board of the African Arbitration Association (AfAA), of the Equal Representation in Arbitration (ERA) Pledge Africa subcommittee, of the International Bar Association (IBA) Africa Arbitration Network, of the African Subcommittee for the Campaign for Greener Arbitrations, of the Rising Arbitrators Initiative (RAI). She is a co-founder of AfricArb a group of young legal professionals with a shared interest in Arbitration and Africa.
Sylvie is one of the winners of the Association of Young Arbitrators Africa’s 50 Most Promising Young Arbitration Practitioners Award 2020 https://africaarbitration.org/2020/06/02/africas-50-most-promising-young-arbitration-practitioners-award-2020/
Sylvie publishes articles in various topics mainly in international arbitration. Her working languages are French (native) and English. She reads and understands documents in Italian.