Laura Yvonne Zielinski
Holland & Knight
Paris and New York
Public international law, Space, Telecom, Energy
English, German, French, Spanish
- BA Sciences Po (2010)
- MA Sciences Po Law School (2012)
- LL.M. Columbia Law School (2014)
- Certificate Strategic Space Law McGill University (2020)
- “Property Rights in Treaty Cases: Lessons for Investor-State Arbitration from Case A15 (II:A) of the Iran-US Claims Tribunal, Kluwer Journal of International Arbitration, Volume 38, Issue 3 (2021) pp. 394-414
- Space Arbitration: Could Investor-State Dispute Settlement Help Mitigate the Creation of Space Debris? EJIL Talk!, 19 March 2021
- Are FPS Claims Looming in the Aftermath of the Corona-crisis?, Young ICCA Blog, 30 April 2020
- “You Cannot Lose What You Never Had”: The Law Applicable to Property Determinations in ICISD Arbitration, The Law and Practice of International Courts and Tribunals 17 (2018) 271-285
- ‘Legitimate Expectations’ in the Vattenfall case, Kluwer Arbitration Blog, 10 January 2017
- Chapter on Myanmar in Investment Protection in Southeast Asia, L. Malintoppi and C. Tan, eds, Brill Nijhoff, (2016)
- Kiobel: A Narrower Ambit for the Alien Tort Statute, co-published with W. Thomas and H. Haeri, GAR, 15 July 2013
- Contributor to Oxford University Press’ Investmentclaims.com on Procedure from 2014-2021
- México y el Arbitraje de Inversión (on trends in investment proceedings against Mexico), Young ITA, 9 December 2021
- Arbitration with Public Entities, Moderator, DIS, CAM/CANACO, CCA Colombiano, 19 October 2021
- Investment Arbitration Based on Contracts: to What Extent can Treaties be Replaced by Contracts? (Arbitraje de Inversión Contractual), Club Español de Arbitraje, 4 June 2021 (Event in Spanish)
- New Opportunities for Arbitration Lawyers: Climate Change, Outer Space and Human Rights, Young ArbitralWomen Practitioners, Holland & Knight, Rising Arbitrators’ Initiative, 25 May 2021
- The Protection of French Investments in Mexico, CCI France, Holland & Knight, 12 November 2020
- Virtual Happy Hour: The Future of Investment Arbitration, ICDR Y&I, 30 July 2020
- Measures in Electrical Matters in Mexico, Investment Arbitration and Damage Calculation, Holland & Knight, 8 July 2020
- Space Arbitration Association (https://space-arbitration.com/), Founder and President November 2021 - Present
- American Society of International Law, Co-Chair of the Latin America Interest Group March 2021 - Present
- Young ICCA, Co-Chair of Scholarships August 2021 - Present
- IBA Space Law Committee, Newsletter Officer January 2022 - Present
I am an international arbitration lawyer who focuses on Investor-State, Commercial, and State-State Arbitration. I speak German, English, French and Spanish fluently, have studied law in France and the US, am admitted to practice law in Paris and New York, and am currently based in Mexico City.
I have a certificate in Strategic Space Law from McGill University, have worked in a leading role on one of the first Investor-State cases related to International Space Law, and recently co-founded the Space Arbitration Association.
Beyond Space Law, I have been involved in proceedings before the Iran-United States Claims Tribunal (IUSCT), the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (ITLOS) and the International Court of Justice (ICJ), and have represented governments and private companies in proceedings administered by the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) and the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL). My practice also covers public international law advisory matters, including advising clients on sanctions and sovereign immunity.
In the past, I have lectured on international dispute resolution at Sciences Po in Paris, and tutored students on a project related to the development of guidelines for nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) under the new UNCITRAL Rules on Transparency. I am also an editor of the Investor-State Law Guide.