Marta Garcia Bel
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Italy, Spain and the US
Milan, Madrid and NY
I am an international arbitration practitioner with over eight years of experience as counsel resolving high-stakes investment and commercial disputes and advising clients on negotiations with governments and state-owned entities. As a Senior Associate at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, I represent clients in high-value and complex investment and commercial arbitrations with a focus on Latin America, the Caribbean and Africa, conducted both in English and Spanish, under the rules of the major arbitral institutions (ICSID, ICSID Additional Facility, ICC, UNCITRAL, LCIA). My experience includes representing governments and multinational companies with investments in a variety of sectors, such as power and utilities, renewable energy, banking and financial services, pharmaceuticals, technology, telecommunications and food production and distribution. I also provide legal advice to corporates concerning public and private international law matters (restructuring of corporate investments, international sanctions, bribery, corruption) and on sustainability and environmental, social, and governance (ESG) transformation.
Universitat Pompeu Fabra
• Marta Garcia Bel, Robert Colvin, Shannon O'Neill, Clara Bianchi Ferran and Audrey Sebatindira, "Renewable energy projects and state risks", Lexology, 1 February 2022
• ICC YAF event “Don’t forget! How many details can a fact witness remember?”, 21 November 2021
• El recurso de anulación de laudos CIADI: el caso Eiser c. España, IX Seminario Internacional de Arbitraje de Inversión, organizado por el Instituto Peruano de Arbitraje (IPA), 22-24 September 2021
• Los incidentes procesales y las deliberaciones arbitrales en clave psicológica, XVI Encuentro CEA – 40: “Arbitraje y juegos mentales: un análisis psicológico del arbitraje”, 11 September 2021
• Christoph H. Seibt, Boris Kasolowsky, Marta García Bel, Mina Aryobsei, Iris Hammerschmid and Marlen Vesper-Gräske, Expanding ESG reporting: European Commission publishes draft for new Corporate Sustainability Reporting Directive, Lexology, May 2021
• From All Walks of Arbitration Life – Different Paths to Becoming an Arbitrator, Push for Parity Series: practical tools for emerging arbitrators, 9 December 2020
I am a very dynamic, hands-on person who enjoys working as part of a team and who is keen to mentor others. When I am not working on cases or spending time with my family, I am leading ESG, tech and diversity initiatives both inside and outside the firm, teaching, writing or speaking on topics of arbitration and international law, or seeking opportunities to serve my community through volunteering at different events and organizations. Ski, tennis and literature are my passions, and I also enjoy cooking (and eating!) Italian and Spanish recipes.