• Acting for an Indian contractor in arbitration proceedings seated in Geneva under the Rules of Arbitration of the ICC arising out of a turnkey contract for a cogeneration unit with boiler and steam turbine in South-East Asia.
• Acting for a major EPC contractor from the People’s Republic of China in ad hoc arbitration proceedings seated in India under the UNCITRAL arbitral rules arising out of a contract for installation of flue-gas desulfurization (FGD) systems in a 2x500 MW thermal power plant in India.
• Acting for an Indian solar power developer in a commercial suit instituted at the High Court of Delhi.
• Acted for an Indian EPC contractor in setting aside proceedings before the High Court of Bombay in relation to an arbitration award arising out of a contract for supply of wind turbine generator.
• Acted for a hydro power producer in insolvency and bankruptcy proceedings in the National Company Law Tribunal, Delhi.
• Acted for a wind power producer in ad hoc arbitration proceedings under the ACA seated in India arising out of a procurement contract with a wind turbine manufacturer.
• Acted for Indian and Dutch companies in multiple international commercial arbitrations seated in London, U.K. and Dubai under the UNCITRAL arbitral rules arising out of oil and gas exploration and production project and oil pipeline project in Africa.
• Acted for a Malaysian-Singaporean engineering consortium in ad hoc arbitration proceedings under the ACA seated in India against an Indian exploration company arising out of an EPC contract for an offshore wellhead platform located in the Exclusive Economic Zone of India.
• Acted for an Indian solar power producer in an international commercial arbitration seated in Singapore under the rules of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (“the SIAC”) arising out of a procurement contract with a manufacturer of solar PV modules.
• Acted for an Indian airport operator in an international commercial arbitration seated in Singapore under the rules of the SIAC in relation to consolidated disputes with a consortium of private equity and investment funds arising out a suite of investment agreements.
• Acted for an Indo-Korean joint venture in ad hoc arbitration proceedings under the ACA seated in India arising out of contracts for construction of strategic oil reserve storage caverns in India.
• Advised a European oil and gas exploration and production company in relation to disputes with the Government of India and venture partners arising out of a production sharing contract and a joint operating agreement for onshore fields in India.
LL.B (Hons.) - University of Lancaster, 1999
LL.M - University College London, 2000
PgDL, Bar Vocational Course, Inns of Court School of Law, London, UK - 2001
ACIArb - Associate, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - 2017
• Choudhury, R. (2021). Construction Law – Principles in Practice. Unpublished manuscript.
• Supreme Court of India to the Rescue Yet Again: Delhi Airport Metro Express Pvt. Ltd. v. Delhi Metro Rail Corporation Ltd., LinkedIn, 13 September 2021, https://www.linkedin.com/posts/rajdeep-choudhury_dam-v-dmrc-indsc-992021-activity-6843046805979074560-7sA9/
• Medima LLC v. Balasore Alloys Limited: High Court at Calcutta Comes to the Aid of a Foreign Award, LinkedIn, 11 August 2021, https://www.linkedin.com/posts/rajdeep-choudhury_medima-llc-v-balasore-alloys-limited-382021-activity-6831103975203319808-L9Zh/
• NHAI v. M. Hakeem & Anr.: Indian Supreme Court Rules on the Power to Modify Arbitral Awards, LinkedIn, 21 July 2021, https://www.linkedin.com/posts/rajdeep-choudhury_nhai-v-m-hakeem-anr-indsc-20072021-ugcPost-6824010916640694272-kwx2
• Another Positive Development in the Enforcement of Foreign Awards in India, LinkedIn, 25 May 2020, https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/another-positive-development-enforcement-foreign-awards-choudhury/
• Coronavirus: The Fallacy of Forcing Force Majeure, Bar & Bench, 17 March 2020, https://www.barandbench.com/columns/coronavirus-the-fallacy-of-forcing-force-majeure
• You Break It; I Buy It. The Curious Case of Knock-for-Knock Indemnity, OGEL 1 (2018), www.ogel.org/article.asp?key=3730
• Enforceability of Take-or-Pay Provision in Offtake Agreements Post Cavendish, OGEL, 4 (2017), https://www.ogel.org/article.asp?key=3757
• Developments in the Indian Liquefied Petroleum Gas Industry, LinkedIn, 26 August 2017, www.linkedin.com/pulse/developments-indian-liquefied-petroleum-gas-industry-choudhury
• Delhi High Court Rules on the Issue of Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Award and Violation of the Public Policy of India, LinkedIn, 13 June 2017 www.linkedin.com/post/edit/delhi-high-court-rules-issue-enforcement-foreign-award-choudhury
• Drilling into Oil and Gas Contracts, India Business Law Journal, September 2013, www.vantageasia.com/drilling-into-oil-and-gas-contracts/
Empanelled Arbitrator, Asian International Arbitration Centre
Empanelled Arbitrator, Hyderabad Arbitration Centre, India
Member of the Board, International Construction Law Association
Honorary Overseas Member, COMBAR
ACIArb (Associate, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, U.K.)
Society of Construction Law, U.K.
Trustee, Indian Commercial and Arbitration Bar Association (ICABA)
Delhi High Court Bar Association
Supreme Court (of India) Bar Association
I appear in all High Courts in India, the Supreme Court of India, statutory tribunals such as the National Company Law Tribunal, and in arbitrations governed by the (Indian) Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996 and all the main arbitral rules, including those of the SIAC, HKIAC, ICC, LCIA, and UNCITRAL.
My practice covers a wide range of industries, with a particular focus on energy, infrastructure, commodities, shipbuilding, transportation, and international trade.
I advise and represent a variety of stakeholders such as shareholders, owners, contractors, consultants, insurers, operators, suppliers, lenders, and offtakers.
I also act as arbitrator. I have been admitted as Associate of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb).
I am instructed on investigations relating to regulatory violations, allegations of fraud, bribery and corruption, sanctions and money laundering, asset recovery, and whistle-blowing.